Lucas Generator rear lubricator - a conundrum

Topics not related to specific models
RichardWallach
Name: Richard Wallach

Lucas Generator rear lubricator - a conundrum

Postby RichardWallach » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:21 am

The rear bearing of the Lucas generator on the 3 Litre cars as fitted to the TA-TC series is a sintered bronze bush. This bush absorbs lubricant from the felt wick. Now for the conundrum; a Lucas publication of the late 40's titled - Maintenance Instructions for Lucas Electrical Equipment (no. 6758), states that the lubricator should be filled with petroleum jelly. This seems to make sense as the lubricants low melting point would allow it to refresh the bush. On the other hand the Manual of Instruction states that high melting point grease should be used. By definition high melting point means just that. Will the grease flow into the bronze bush?

I would appreciate the thoughts of others who are far more knowledgeable than this amateur.

Richard
Melbourne

durhamsmudger
Name: Alan Smith

Re: Lucas Generator rear lubricator - a conundrum

Postby durhamsmudger » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:26 am

First of all the manufacturers recommendation should be the first option , however things have came on a long way since the 50's, I contacted Castrol oils for a list of recommended lubricants for my TD21 and they were very helpful , by not only letting me know what they recommend but why . The bearing on the dynamo for the TD21 is oil which i would have thought is a much better option than any grease , as grease would tend to harden over time blocking the sintered material
Cheers
Alan

RichardWallach
Name: Richard Wallach

Re: Lucas Generator rear lubricator - a conundrum

Postby RichardWallach » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:29 am

Thanks for the reply Alan,

I would expect that the heat generated by both the engine and generator would prevent grease from hardening. I take your point that later model generators had an oil hole rather than a cylindrical lubricator. For the C45PV4 I prefer petroleum jelly as it will act a liquid when hot. To that end I have not had any squealing from the bearing so it must be doing some good.

Regards,

Richard
Melbourne

Return to “General Technical”