Crankshaft oil leaking in to flywheel/ clutch on Silver Cres

Topics not related to specific models
Michaelplunket
Name: Michael Foy

Crankshaft oil leaking in to flywheel/ clutch on Silver Cres

Postby Michaelplunket » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:34 pm

Alvis silver crest , engine oil leaking at crankshaft in to bell housing and clutch,is there a workshop manual with drawings available showing layout of oil thrower ring and or seal ? Has any member experience of correct assembly order ,

Michaelplunket

Re: Crankshaft oil leaking in to flywheel/ clutch on Silver

Postby Michaelplunket » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:14 pm

Michaelplunket wrote:Alvis silver crest , engine oil leaking at crankshaft in to bell housing and clutch,is there a workshop manual with drawings available showing layout of oil thrower ring and or seal ? Has any member experience of correct assembly order ,

20/3/15 Now have engine disassembled and discovered that there isn't an oil seal in the design ,
There is an oil thrower screw machined in to the crankshaft and it relies on minimal clearance on crankcase and sump to stop oil going out when engine running ,it looks like gaskets on sump should not be used , just silicone or curill which never really setts hard ,
Will update as I go
Regards
Michael

RichardWallach
Name: Richard Wallach

Postby RichardWallach » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:49 pm

Michael.

Send a message to the model secretary, Andrew Wisdom, and see what suggestions he might have. His details are found on Page 5 of the current Bulletin.

Richard
Melbourne

tf1695
Name: andrew wisdom

Postby tf1695 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:01 pm

Hello Michael,

I have not been able to find any relevant information regarding your problem, there just aren't enough 'Crests around. I know that the engine is very similar in design to the 12/70 and TA14 four cylinder models, perhaps owners of these cars have come up against the same problem. Have you contacted Nick Simpson who is the technical advisor on the 6 cylinder models? His details are also on page 5 of the bulletin.

Andrew Wisdom

Michaelplunket

Postby Michaelplunket » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:57 am

Hello Andrew
I think I have that problem solved and Wil let you know what the final outcome is .
Thanks for trying
Best regards
Michael

Return to “General Technical”