Alvis 4.3 steering box

Topics not related to specific models
chhym
Name: Chris Hyman

Alvis 4.3 steering box

Postby chhym » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:23 pm

New to Alvis cars and I am finding the steering very loose compared with say a 1953 Riley.

All of the steering joints are OK so I am looking at a steering box rebuild as Red Triangle say they cannot normally be adjusted any further and need rebuilding.

Looking at the board I cannot find much on trusted traders so...

Apart from Red Triangle who else would you entrust the work to.
I am based near Stansted Airport.

Chris

RichardWallach
Name: Richard Wallach

Re: Alvis 4.3 steering box

Postby RichardWallach » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:36 pm

Chris,

Welcome to the Club and the BB. Generally speaking people do get a reply to their questions although I tend to find that it may take longer for the pre war cars.Good luck with the restoration. I would make contact with the model secretary, whose details can be found in the front of the Bulletin.

Richard
Melbourne

DaveT
Name: David Turnage

Postby DaveT » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:06 pm

Hi Chris,

I am not exactly sure what you mean by the steering being loose (eg free movement at the steering wheel, or obvious slack in the steering box, or the car wanders all over the road when trying to travel in a straight line...). My Speed 25 had very poor steering when I first purchased it - within weeks I had cured much of the tendency to wander and lose the back end, by replacing the old but not worn tyres and correcting the tyre pressures. Later, I found that rebuilt shock absorbers also made a step change improvement to the steering.

There are a few similar cars near to Stansted so you should be able to make some comparisons.

cheers

Dave
Dave T
Colchester, UK
sp25 DHC
Jensen 541

chhym

Postby chhym » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:19 pm

Hi Dave,

I have had a read of your posts as its a pre-war car therefore basically the same as mine.
I suspect we will have "many chats" as I suspect you are quite hands on as I am.

The car drives in a straight line, its just there seems to be large amounts of turning of the steering wheel before there is much change in direction.

Once you have "taken up the slack in the steering" then the steering becomes positive which is why I believe the steering box needs adjustment/rebuilding.

Hope this helps.

Chris

johnlayzell
Name: John Layzell

Postby johnlayzell » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:39 pm

Have you added oil to the steering box?
If it's like mine, the next morning there was a nice puddle of oil on the garage floor. I packed it with axle grease and it's been fine since. That was about 7 years ago.
1925 SC12/50
1937 SP25 VDP Saloon
1970 Peking to Paris Rally VW Beetle

chhym

Postby chhym » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:33 pm

Hi John,

Only recently purchased the car, put her through and MOT, then put new oil and plugs in as one hard started to fail, then put her into storage for winter so currently I have not put anything anywhere be it grease or oil anywhere!

I assume its lithium grease used in the steering box?

Chris

DaveT

Postby DaveT » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:15 pm

Chris,

have you checked for king pin wear and lubrication? I am not sure what is original but my chassis lubrication does not connect to the king pins (top or bottom) and I have added grease nipples in place of the bare tapped holes that I found when inspecting them. Stiffness in the king pins could cause a few steering problems, including the need to "over turn" the steering wheel to get any movement at the tyre / road interface.

I am still using oil in the steering box, but it is a bit "incontinent" and needs regular top ups. Steering box rebuilds can be done by a company in Wimbledon (South London). "Speedy sleeves" might be useful to reduce oil leakage or, if getting the box rebuilt, ask for a more modern seal to be included.

Dave
Dave T
Colchester, UK
sp25 DHC
Jensen 541

langford
Name: graham langford

Postby langford » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Dave,
Do you know the name of the company in Wimbledon for steering box rebuilds?
Graham

langford
Name: graham langford

Postby langford » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:06 pm

Chris,
I am about to use a company in Dorking for a 1935 Speed 20 SC steering box called Steering Services 01306 640483, ask for Simon Evans. An AOC member recommended him.
Graham

DaveT

Postby DaveT » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:21 pm

It looks as though the company that I had heard of in Wimbledon moved in 2012 to Dorking!

http://www.steering-services.co.uk/
Dave T
Colchester, UK
sp25 DHC
Jensen 541

Return to “General Technical”